Summer Reading Program
(Printable application at the bottom of the page. The deadline to turn in applications has been extended so please fill out an application and turn it in as soon as possible!
Who can apply to be a teen volunteer?
You can if you...
- Are between the ages of 13 and 18 as of May 27, 2014.
- Are willing to volunteer 2 to 7 hours per week.
- Have transportation to the Library.
- Know how to use a computer.
- Are a dependable, responsible worker.
- Can attend mandatory orientation session on Monday, May 12 from 4:00 - 5:30 p.m. in the Community Room.
- Have your parent's or guardian's permission.
- Are interested in learning more about the Library and making it a great place to visit.
What does a Teen Volunteer do?
- Volunteers work mainly in the Youth Services Department. There are many tasks that volunteers perform and the following is a list of things a volunteer may be asked to do.
- Assist staff with program preparations (crafts, handouts, early literacy packets).
- Straighten and dust shelves.
- Face and shelf reading (making sure all books are on the shelf in order).
- Assist with programs (special, workshops and story time).
- Man the Summer Reading Desk.
- Clean books.
- Act in Story Time skits.
- Assist in preparing and taking down bulletin boards and displays.
- Assist in other areas of the Library and tasks as assigned.
What volunteers do not do!
- Answers reference and collection questions from library patrons.
- Answer telephones.
If selected as a Teen Volunteer, you will have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while having fun and learning about the Library. Your efforts will be appreciated by the Library Staff along with all of the Library patrons.
If you would like to apply to be a Teen Volunteer you may come into the library and fill out an application or you may click on the link below, print off an application and bring it in to the library personally.
Click here for the Summer Reading Program Teen Volunteer Application Form.