Meeting Room Policies
- The Derby Public Library welcomes public use of its Library meeting rooms for meetings, programs, or events sponsored by the Library, City, or initiated by the public for cultural, informational, educational, recreational or civic purposes.
- This Meeting Room Policy establishes guidelines and procedures for the use of the Library’s meeting room facilities. The rooms available for public use by reservation include: Community Room, Gathering Space, The Frank Fanning Conference Room, Study Rooms, and Computer Lab.
- Public meeting room use does not constitute Library or City endorsement of the beliefs, ideas, or policies expressed by organizations or individuals using the space.
- Library Meeting Rooms are only available for use during library operating hours with the exception of the Community Room and Gathering Space.
- The removal of Library property, including furniture, equipment, and items affixed to the walls, from the Library is prohibited.
- Library premises may not be used for meetings or public announcements sponsored by individual candidates for local, state, or federal office. Library meeting rooms may not be used for political campaigning or political fund-raising activities. Non-partisan events such as a public forum open to all candidates or town hall meetings held by current elected officials are permitted.
- Library Meeting Rooms may be reserved up to one year in advance on a meeting to meeting basis.
- Library or City of Derby sponsored activities shall take precedence in scheduling meeting room use. The Derby Public Library does not discriminate in making its premises available for use on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, creed, ancestry, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability. The scheduling of facility space will be managed equitably, on a first-come, first-served basis, within the constraints of popular demand and availability.
- It is the responsibility of the organization or group to collect and handle any money that is charged for admission to the meeting or event.
- Library staff cannot provide change or participate in the collection or distribution of any monies for a non-sponsored Library program, event, or meeting.
- Library staff retains the right to attend any meetings or events, or portions thereof, scheduled at the Library to ensure compliance of the room usage.
- Use of Library meeting rooms by any group signifies acceptance of the terms of this policy.
- Users of Library meetings rooms agree to accept responsibility for all damages caused to the building and/or equipment beyond normal wear.
- The authorized representative of the group or organization is responsible for room setup, cleanup, and all closing requirements of the Library premises. A written checklist of responsibilities will be provided. The room responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Cleaning of all tables and counter tops
Room arrangement reset to the original configuration, including the storage of chairs and/or tables, if necessary
Empty trash as explained on checklist. Trash bags will be provided.
Turn off equipment, lights, etc.
Secure the room and entrance doors, if applicable
Return portable equipment, if used
Return security card in outside book drop in the envelope provided
- The following equipment is available for public use with advance arrangement.
Portable white board
- Users of library-owned equipment are expected to meet with Library staff for instructional use of the equipment prior to the day the equipment has been reserved.
- Wireless Internet access is available in any of the public meeting spaces. Individuals, groups, or organizations may use their own laptops and/or projection unit.
- Applicant submitting the room reservation request must be the authorized representative of the organization or group and will serve as the contact person.
- Reservations may be made by calling or visiting the Library during operating hours.
- Fees are to be paid in person at the Library within 5-7 days after the reservation has been made, unless other arrangements are approved
Refreshment and Meeting Room Fee Structure:
- No fees are assessed for Library, City, USD #260, or Derby Recreation Commission sponsored meetings or events.
- Not for profit organizations, Civic Clubs, Community Organizations, Churches and other community groups are not charged for use of the Study Rooms or the Frank Fanning Conference Room. They may use the Community Room and Gathering Space at the reduced rate of $10 per hour.
- Businesses and private social events may use the meeting rooms at the following prices.
1. Group Study Room: $10.00 per hour
2. Frank Fanning Conference Room: $15.00 per hour
3. Community Room/Gathering Space: $50.00 per hour
- The Computer lab is also available for reservation at a cost of $50.00 per hour. No meals beyond light refreshments may be served in this room.
- Light refreshments may be served in any of the Meeting Rooms at no additional cost.
- Any group, business, social or nonprofit organization wishing to serve a hot, catered, or covered dish meal in the library Meeting Rooms will be assessed the following fees:
1. Frank Fanning Conference Room: $10.00
2. Community Room/Gathering Space: $50.00
- Fund raisers sponsored by nonprofit organizations held in Library Meeting Rooms will be charged the business/social rental rate.
- Full refunds will be given for cancellations received no later than 24 hours prior to the reservation or if the reservation is cancelled due to issues outside Library control. Refunds are forfeited for cancellations received less than 24 hours prior to the reservation.
· It is the responsibility of the Library Director to interpret, monitor and recommend updates to this policy. The Library Director and Board of Trustees reserve the right to make exceptions to this policy when they feel such action is beneficial to the Library and/or the Community and are the final authority with regards to restrictions on use of the library.
· Meeting Room use may be terminated for failure to abide by the Meeting Room Policy or violation of library policy. Violation of either of these policies may also prohibit future use.