Kindle How To
How to read on Kindle
Quick Tips: To be able to check out our library ebooks on your Kindle you will need to have an Amazon Account. Go to www.amazon.com to sign up. Your Kindle must be registered with your Amazon Account. When you check out an ebook it will take you to Amazons website where you will be required to log in with your account. If you do not have your account set up you will not be able to check out ebooks. You are limited to 5 checkouts per library card and your Kindle will only allow you to download 5 ebooks all together. If you are gifting a Kindle to someone, that individual will need their own library card and their own Amazon Account to be able to check out ebooks. See below for details on checking out.
Visit our collection of eBooks here
- Select Derby Public Library and log in with your Library Card Number and your pin number (the last 4 of your phone number).
- Browse our collection and add a Kindle Book to your cart. Not all books are available in the Kindle Format. You cannot download audiobooks to your Kindle.
- Click Proceed to checkout and then Confirm checkout.
- Click the 'Get for Kindle' button. This opens the Amazon.com website. You will be required to sign in with your Amazon.com account if you are not already logged in.
- Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app. Click the 'Get library book' button and sync your device or app to download the book, or choose to send it to your device via USB.
- An active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. You cannot download ebooks over a 3G connection.
- If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, read Amazon's instructions for transferring files via USB.
- You can check out up to 5 ebooks onto your Kindle at a time. Your ebooks can be returned early through Amazons website under Managing your Kindle.